St. John's Westminster Union Church
St. John's Westminster Union Church St. John's Westminster Union Church
Bulletin    Newsletter    Sermon MP3s    News    Support our Charities    Photos    Event Calendar        
St. John's Westminster Union Church

St. John's Westminster Union Church
St. John's Westminster Union Church
Mark Your Calendar

Mark Your Calendar for the... 15th Anniversary Celebration Picnic Sunday, Sept 17 Noon to...
Read More

Register for News Story Emails.


St. John's Westminster Union Church
Worship

Please join us for worship every Sunday morning at 10 am - 1085 Neeb Rd, Cincinnati OH 45233 Worship is at the center of who we are at the Union Church. It is what grounds us, and inspires us....

Westminster Church History  
The History of Westminster Presbyterian

In 1883, ten men from the Price Hill area met with Presbytery officials to plan a Presbyterian Church on the hill. Westminster Presbyterian Church was chartered and recognized by the Presbytery of Cincinnati a month later. The church began with a congregation of twenty-two members and their first pastor was Rev. Josiah Priest.

The congregation met at Library Hall on Grand Ave, quickly growing to fifty-eight members. Six years later the number had quadrupled and construction had begun on a new church building at the corner of Price and Grand. In 1941, Westminster merged with Elberon Presbyterian , another church which had formed in 1914. The church retained Westminsters name, while following the leadership of the Elberon pastor, Rev. John Cowan.

The congregation met at Sunset Theater and then in a building on Overlook until a new church could be built. This process was delayed by World War II, and it wasn't until 1950 that the final church site on Cleves Warsaw was purchased. The first service in the new building was held in April of 1952. Both the church and the congregation continue to expand over the next several decades.

By 1954, the congregation had reached 500 people and the church started having two Sunday services. Around ten years later, that number had doubled. To accommodate the growing congregation and its needs, the congregation hired an Assistant Pastor and plans were made to add a Christian Education wing and a chapel to the church building. Construction began shortly after, and the Christian Education wing was completed in the mid-1960s.

In 1978, the Youth Club was organized. In October of 1983, Westminster celebrated its Centennial. In 1993, Rev. Jeremiah Schenck became the 15th pastor of Westminster. Jed brought a youthful vitality to many facets of the church's ministries and programs, updating worship to include contemporary music and multi-media.

Although membership had dropped below 300, Jed created two new church positions: Director of Christian Education and Director of Music, and youth and adult programs began to thrive. The church building, however, began to exhibit structural problems, so task forces were created to research different options for the churchs future.

In 2000, the talks began concerning the possibility of a merger with St. Johns UCC.

St. John's Westminster Union Church
St. John's Westminster Union Church

· Copyright ©2017 St. John's Westminster Union Church 513.347.4613 1085 Neeb Road Cincinnati OH 45233 ·
· Contact St. John's Westminster Union Church · Disclosure · Webmaster · Browser and Email Settings ·
· Website by NonProfitDynamics.com ·
V.7